Wednesday 4 March 2015

Working as a waitress in Scotland - nice to know tips and tricks




I have been in Scotland for approximately one month now. Since I only have Uni twice a week and I love to work I decided to search for a part time job as a waitress in Scotland. I have already worked as a waitress in Germany but it is different though. In the beginning I had lots of difficulties working in a pub here, but after a time you get used to it. The only things that are really important are that you





  • know how to be a bartender
  • understand Scottish people 
  • love the job as a waitress.
I still have lots of difficulties in understanding Scottish people but as soon as I am telling them that I am German they are all very sympathetic and helpful. So what do you have to know about being a foreign waitress in Scotland? First of all, do not hesitate to apply for a job. In the beginning everything is difficult but you will learn it very quickly since you have to! :D

There are lots of things that are different to the German nightlife. Here are some examples:

1. Most of the Pubs and bars close at 3 o'clock in the morning.
2. Glasses are not to be filled up completely.  
3. There is nearly no foam on the beer. 
4. Cider is served with ice.

About 1: They simply start earlier...so the problem is solved!
About 2: For me as a german this is really awful. I'm always hearing my grandma asking me "is it more expensive to get a filled cup?" while having tea on sundays...That is why I hate to get or serve drinks that are not filled properly...Anyway you have to get used to it.
About 3: In Scotland the beer only has foam which is less than 1 cm. I really like to drink beer which has no or few foam but still I love it to draw beer with a beautiful head. What is really impressive is that the foam, even if it is just a bit, stays a really long time. This is a cause of the glasses, since there is something special at the bottom of the glasses which makes the beer producing little bubbles which form the foam. Unfortunately I cannot tell you more about this..
About 4: Sounds strange but it is true!  To create an appropriate drink you just have to adhere to the so called 3/4 rule. That is to fill all glasses (or Jugs or Bowls) 3/4 with ice before you add other ingredients. This keeps all cocktails cool for a long time and allows you to keep different layers if you have to add several ingredients.

By the way, here you have to ask everyboy who looks to be under the age of 25 for an identification. Why? As soon as I know it is because of a new law which is to regulate the consumption of alcohol in Scotland. For me it is really impressive that the rules are observed by everyone! Especially those two:
  • People who look to be under the age of 25 have to be asked for an identification.
  • Drunk people must not to be served with alcohol.
Especially the second one is perplexing me again and again. If one of the staff recognises a drunk person she tells the boss. She decides whether it is to be trusted and tells all of the other staff not to serve this person anymore. Well...now the only question which is to be asked is if it is an punishment or an honor to win the "Most bladdered person tonight who is not to be served any more drinks"- prize cup...I think in this case everybody should decide theirselves...But one thing I can say for sure: It is so much fun to work in a pub! I really can recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment